The billing process can be challenging and time-consuming for many businesses, especially those that have regular or recurring customers. Luckily, recurring invoices in QuickBooks Online provide a great solution to simplify and automate this process. By setting up recurring invoices, businesses can save significant time and effort by eliminating the need to manually create and send invoices for each billing cycle.
In this article, we will explain the recurring invoice tool in QuickBooks Online, its key features, and how to set up recurring invoices within the platform.
What are Recurring Invoices?
Recurring invoices in QuickBooks Online are pre-scheduled invoices that are automatically generated and sent to customers at specified intervals. They are particularly useful for businesses that provide services or products on a recurring basis, such as subscription-based services, membership renewals, or monthly retainers. With recurring invoices, you can set up the invoice details, such as customer information, items or services provided, due dates, and payment terms, and QuickBooks Online will generate and send the invoices on your behalf.
Key Features of Recurring Invoices in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Online’s recurring invoices offer a range of features to simplify and streamline your billing process. Here are some key features:
- Customizable Templates: QuickBooks Online provides customizable invoice templates that allow you to create professional-looking invoices that align with your branding.
- Flexible Scheduling: You can set up recurring invoices to generate at various intervals, such as daily, weekly, monthly, or even annually, depending on your business requirements.
- Multiple Billing Options: Recurring invoices support different billing methods, including fixed amounts, percentage-based charges, or a combination of both. This flexibility allows you to adapt to various pricing structures and billing scenarios.
- Automatic Delivery: QuickBooks Online will automatically generate and send recurring invoices to your customers via email, eliminating the need for manual intervention. This ensures consistent and timely delivery to your customers.
- QuickBooks Payments Integration: QuickBooks Online offers native integration with QuickBooks Payments, enabling you to include payment links on your recurring invoices. Customers can conveniently pay their invoices online, improving cash flow and reducing the time spent on payment processing.
Setting Up Recurring Invoices in QuickBooks Online
Access Recurring Transactions: Log in to your QuickBooks Online account and then click on the gear icon on the upper right-hand corner of your dashboard. Select Recurring transactions under the Lists column. The Recurring transactions screen shows a list of all the recurring transactions you’ve already set up. To create a new one, click on the green New button.
Recurring transactions window in QuickBooks Online
Selecting transaction type: Next, select Invoice as the transaction type. Once selected, click the OK button.
Selecting the type of recurring transaction you wish to create in QuickBooks
Creating the recurring invoice: Fill in the required details, such as the template name, customer information, billing items, and payment terms. Customize the invoice template to match your brand if desired. Specify the recurrence pattern for the invoice. Select the frequency, start and end dates, and any additional options like specific days of the week or month.
Recurring invoice form in QuickBooks Online
Once you’re satisfied with your new recurring invoice, click the Save template button below the screen.
Once the recurring invoice is set up in QuickBooks Online, it operates automatically, providing a hassle-free billing process for businesses. The system takes care of generating and sending invoices according to the defined schedule. Each billing cycle, the recurring invoice is automatically created with the designated customer information, items or services provided, due dates, and payment terms. It is then delivered to the customer via email.
You can easily edit recurring invoices whenever necessary. Update customer information, billing items, amounts, or other details. Changes made to recurring invoices will not affect previously generated invoices.
To learn more about setting up recurring invoices in QuickBooks, watch the video below:
Recurring invoices in QuickBooks Online offer significant advantages for businesses seeking to streamline their billing processes and improve efficiency. By automating the invoicing workflow, businesses can save time, ensure consistent billing, enhance cash flow, and maintain positive customer relationships.