Managing invoice approval processes can be a challenging task for businesses of all sizes. The manual handling of invoices, the approval process, and the potential for delays or errors can create significant bottlenecks in the workflow. As a result, businesses often find themselves struggling to maintain efficient and streamlined invoice approval processes.
However, with invoice approval workflows in QuickBooks Advanced, businesses can overcome these challenges and implement effective solutions to manage their invoicing processes. In this blog, we’ll walk you through the invoice approval workflows in QuickBooks Advanced, how to set them up, and how they can help you improve your accounts payable (A/P) workflows and financial operations.
What Are Invoice Approval Workflows in QuickBooks Online Advanced?
Invoice approval workflows in QuickBooks Advanced are a set of customizable features that allow businesses to automate and streamline their A/P processes. These workflows enable businesses to establish a standardized automated process for reviewing and approving invoices, reducing the risk of errors and delays and improving the accuracy and efficiency of their invoicing procedures.
With QuickBooks Advanced, businesses can set up invoice approval workflows based on a variety of criteria, including invoice amount, customer, location, or any other relevant factors. The workflows can be configured to require approval from specific team members, such as managers or department heads, and can include customizable approval thresholds and notification settings.
Once an invoice triggers an approval workflow, the system routes the invoice to the designated approver(s) for review and approval. QuickBooks Advanced provides real-time visibility into the status of invoices, enabling stakeholders to track the progress of approvals and take action if necessary. The workflows can also be configured to send notifications to designated users or groups when an invoice is pending approval or has been approved.
Setting up Invoice Approval Workflows in QuickBooks Advanced
To set up a new invoice approval workflow in QuickBooks Advanced, select Workflows from the left navigation menu bar and then click on Templates. From the Workflows page, scroll down to find the Set up invoice approval template or use the search feature.
Select the Set up invoice approval template
From the invoice approval screen, complete all the required fields, including the workflow name, what you want QuickBooks to do, when this happens, etc.
Creating an invoice approval workflow in QuickBooks Online Advanced
In the Conditions section, you can set the conditions that will trigger the approval process, what will happen if the conditions are met, and who QuickBooks should notify. In addition to invoice amounts, you can also set up conditions around other criteria, such as by customer, location, and invoice balance due.
Setting up the conditions for an invoice approval workflow in QuickBooks Online Advanced
After setting up the conditions, specify what happens when the conditions are met. For instance, select who among your team members you want to look at the invoice and approve it and who QuickBooks should notify. You may also set up an automatic reminder to the reviewer or approver if an invoice isn’t approved within a certain number of days.
Setting up an automatic reminder if an invoice is not approved in QuickBooks
Once you’re done, click the Save and enable button.
For hands-on learning, you can watch the video below and follow along using your own QuickBooks Advanced account. If you don’t have a subscription yet, we can help.
Benefits of Invoice Approval Workflows in QuickBooks Advanced
- Improved accuracy: Approval workflows in QuickBooks Advanced help ensure that all invoices are reviewed and approved by designated team members, reducing the risk of errors or discrepancies.
- Customizable triggers: The ability to set up triggers based on specific criteria, such as invoice amount or customer, enables businesses to establish a targeted and effective approval process.
- Real-time visibility: QuickBooks Advanced provides real-time visibility into the status of invoices, enabling managers and stakeholders to track the progress of approvals and take action if necessary.
- Automated notifications: Approval workflows can be configured to send notifications to designated users or groups when an invoice is pending approval or has been approved, reducing the need for manual follow-up.
- Streamlined financial operations: By automating the approval process, businesses can streamline their accounts payable processes, reducing the time and effort required to manage invoices and improving overall efficiency.
Overall, invoice approval workflows in QuickBooks Advanced offer businesses a powerful tool for optimizing their accounts payable processes, reducing the risk of errors, and improving the efficiency of their financial operations.